And in a blink… it’s May! I can’t believe it. My baby is almost 6 months old… the weather is feeling more and more like summer… and my blog has survived 2 months now, which according to a lot of stats of seen, is a huge deal.
Blog wise, the month of April has been exciting for me. No… I’m not making millions in my second month (for the people who make that happen, props!) but I am beginning to get more traction. I know it takes time to build a blogging income… but in order for affiliate links and eBooks to actually make you any money, you have to have READERS! That’s why I’m excited about this month. My blog traffic, blog subscribers, and social media traffic have gone up significantly.
As a reminder for those of you visiting me for the first time, I am passionate about sharing my monthly reports and being completely transparent about my monthly income, social media tips & tricks, etc for two main reasons:
- I think it is a great exercise to help me take a moment to reflect, appreciate all my hard work, and prioritize for the next month.
- I want this monthly documentation to serve as a roadmap of do’s and dont’s for bloggers who get their start weeks, months, or years down the road.
To see my March report, click here.
Each month, I share:
- Income Updates
- Expense Updates
- The Stats
- A Summary of Blog Tasks
- A Summary of Blog Posts
- Reflection and Goals
For the sake of transparency, I’m still finding that trying to find a workable blogging schedule with a 40-hour-a-week job, coaching youth sports, and a being a mom to 6 month old can feel daunting pretty much every day. But I’m adamant about producing these reports every month so I can see trace my journey all the way back to the bare bones. And I’m hoping that sharing these vulnerable moments will benefit someone, somewhere out there.
So without further adieu, here goes!
Quick Disclaimer: Some of the links through this report are affiliate links. All of them are products or services I’ve used and loved. If you have any questions about any of the income or expenses please contact me or leave a comment. Thanks!
- Elegant Themes: $0
- Amazon Affiliates: $1.04
- How to Monetize Your Food Blog eBook: $0
- Angie Makes WordPress Themes: $0
- Bluehost: $0
- Google AdSense: $1.35
- Shareaholic: $0
- MailChimp : $0
- Envato Market Code Canyon: $0
- T1Yoga: $0
- Photo Submissions: $0
- I didn’t submit any photos this month
Total March 2016 Income: $2.39
- Bluehost Domain: $5.95
- Facebook Ad Campaign: $14
- Canva Photo Purchase: $2
Total March Expenses: $21.95
Total March Profit: -19.56
- Blog Subscriptions: 32 (compared to 3 in March)
- Blog Comments: 101 (compared to 51 in March)
- Blog Views: 3,058 (compared to 1,141 in March)
Social Media Stats:
- Facebook Page Likes: 190 (compared to 159 in March)
- Twitter Followers: 690 (compared to 495 in March)
- Pinterest Followers: 475 (compared to 338 in March)
- Instagram Followers: 1113 (compared to 700 in March)
Most Popular Traffic Referrals:
Side note: I met and exceeded all my stat goals from my March report!
Blog Task Summary
This is a high-level summary; this second month of blogging felt a little less chaotic than month one, but I still found myself wanting to do and try everything I read about, but I did my best to keep myself focused on my goals. Below includes the most key steps I took this month:
- Started using Canva for my blog images; unified the look and feel of all my featured images
- Did a site re-brand
- All my featured images are now vertical and pinnable
- I refocused my content and my tagline; I am now focused on everything natural- that includes recipes with whole, healthy ingredients as well as natural products, fitness, and more
- Updated my About page to better match this more focused niche
- Created a static homepage and updated my sidebars to more strategically engage my audience
- Accepted and posted my first guest posts
- Participated in a few link ups for the first time
- Built friendship and connections in the blogging community via Facebook groups and Instagram challenges
- Opened a StumbleUpon and Reddit account to increase traffic
- Began collecting resources for my eBook “30 Days to a Healthier You” which I’m hoping to publish in mid May
- Facebook eBook promotion
- Began using Pinterest rich pins
- Tried using schedules and a content calendar, but ultimately wasn’t ready to take that step yet (and maybe never will be… I like to be able to go with the flow and be spontaneous and take advantage of my time)
- Started using Shareaholic to help grow traffic and begin to make money (still figuring this out to be honest)
- Began using Yoast to support all my SEO needs
Blog Post Summary
- Posts Published: this post will make 15, which was my goal
- Recipe Posts: 6 new
- Remedies Posts: 0 new
- Health Posts: 1 new
- Household: 0 new
- Fitness Posts: 0 new
- Family Posts: 0 new
- Beauty Posts: 1 new
- Blogging Posts: 4 new (including this post)
- Miscellaneous Posts: 3 new
- Popular Posts (not necessarily published this month, just the posts that got the most TRAFFIC this month):
Reflection & Goals
While better than March, I did have some down days this month. Biting off this eBook task has been a bit overwhelming, to say the least, but I’m excited for the final product. I’m also excited about my site rebranding. I feel like I’m finally able to really hone in on good content and begin chipping away at monetization as I continue to build an audience authentically.
Heading in to May, I have a few key goals for myself. While I didn’t necessarily hit all my goals last month, I think this process of goal-setting is really important. It has been super helpful to reflect on both the goals I met and did not meet in April. On some, I just ran out of time. Others, were goals that need to wait or were reprioritized in light of my site re-branding. Still others were things that, as I learned more about the blogging landscape, just really weren’t all that important.
So without further delay, here are my May goals!
- 3500 page views
- Blog Comments: 50 new
- Blog Followers: 10 new
- 10 new posts
- Facebook Page likes: 200
- Twitter Followers: 720
- Pinterest Followers: 550
- Instagram Followers: 1500
Blog Task Goals:
- Content, content, content! I want to build this as much as possible this month.
- Traffic, traffic, traffic! I’ve started gaining better traction this month and want to continue to grow that. This means more Pinterest groups, more interaction on StumbleUpon and Reddit, increased Twitter tweets and retweets, etc.
- Publish eBook! And set up affiliate links for all my contributors.
- That should be plenty 😉
Well folks, that’s a wrap. Thanks for reading, and please remember, I’d appreciate any and all feedback you can provide, along with any questions you may have!