I’ll come clean. I don’t like seafood.
Shrimp pasta? Thanks, but no thanks.
Smoked fish? Disgusting.
I know. You’re probably thinking, “Wait a minute. I swear the title of this post said Firecracker Salmon.” Don’t worry. You aren’t seeing things. It definitely says that.
This recipe changed my seafood hating mind (well… about salmon at least). And I have to tell you, if a girl who detests anything that looks like, smells like, feels like fish ACTUALLY likes a meal that includes fish, it’s probably pretty dang good.
If you’re a bit skeptical that I whipped this one up on my own (given I hate fish), you’re right. You caught me. This recipe definitely isn’t mine. But it came highly recommended by my friends at Fit Cookin. I introduced them a few days ago in my Peanut Butter Chicken post. In case you haven’t read that post, Fit Cookin is a website and mobile phone app with clean, lean and healthy recipes, using everyday ingredients, designed fit within your daily lifestyle. Read more about them here.
Back to this salmon recipe- it really is to die for. And healthy too, of course. That’s sort of a prerequisite for ending up on my site.
So even if you have members in your household that turn up their noses at the mention of fish for dinner, I’d suggest giving this recipe for chance. And for those of you fish lovers out there, while I don’t understand you… I feel pretty confident that you’ll love this meal.
Salmon with a twist. A unique dish with a combination that brings a variety of flavors onto your taste buds.
- 2 salmon fillets (170-200g)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (replace with liquid aminos or coconut aminos if Paleo)
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 200g tender stem broccoli
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Pour 1/2 the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the salmon; seal bag and turn to coat.
- Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Lightly coat your grill pan with some oil, you can moisten a paper towel with oil and rub the pan
- When the pan heats up place salmon skin side down, and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the salmon and cook further until salmon starts to flake.
- Serve with a handful of tender stem broccoli, steamed or boiled for 1 minute and seasoned, and the remaining marinade drizzled over
Links in recipe are Amazon affiliate links. See my affiliate disclosure here